Myseum Intersections is an annual festival that will take place during the entire month of March, 2019. The festival explores intersectional perspectives of Toronto through collaborative exhibits, events, workshops and tours. Intersections aims to present a wide array of programming that we hope will create dialogue on civic issues and inspire a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the richness of our city.
Project proposals can range from medium-small exhibitions to events such as walking tours, workshops, panel discussions and lectures to public programs, exhibition tours, community celebrations, interactive experiences and performances. We prioritize participatory, co-created projects and encourage applicants to create collaborative partnerships that help them co-create their projects.
Applicants must identify the program category that the proposed project will fall under.
Projects categories Include: exhibition, workshop, walking tour, performance, discussion or lecture, community celebration, film screening, interactive experience and other. For projects that are categorized as exhibits, preference will be given to projects that run longer than two weeks.
Each project must offer some form of free programming or access to the general public. Accepted Myseum Intersections projects typically receive $3000 to $5000. If you believe that your project will require more than $5000 from Myseum, please inform Myseum Intersections Program Coordinator, Tennille Dowers, (by email: email@example.com or phone: 416-583-2030).
We also welcome applications from individuals and organizations who do not require funding and would like to host a Myseum Intersections project. Please clearly identify your project as ‘UNFUNDED PARTICIPANT’ in the budget section of your application.
WHO CAN APPLY?
We encourage, and prioritize, collaborative projects between two or more individuals/community organizations to apply with an exhibition or event based project that can animate their own community space(s) or a mutually decided upon space.
Submissions are encouraged from different disciplines, cultures, abilities, and backgrounds including but not limited to: historical societies, archives, artist and design collectives, natural history organizations, cultural organizations, community groups, disabled communities, youth and student groups, indigenous communities, architects, ecologists and naturalists, LGBTQ+ communities, designers, urbanist groups, and groups that formed for this project because they are passionate about Toronto.
Organizations, collectives or individuals are not required to have charitable or non-profit status in order to apply. Additionally, organizations or individuals who have participated in Myseum Intersections previously are eligible to apply.
WHAT WE WILL FUND
- Material expenses
- Content development fees (curatorial fees, artist fees, honoraria)
- Transportation expenses within the GTA
- AV and equipment rentals
- Fees for space/venue (discounts are appreciated)
- Production expenses
- Display expenses
WHAT WE DO NOT FUND
- Projects already covered in an organization’s ongoing operating budget or another festival or exhibition
- Staff time of existing employees
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, complete the following applicable Application form.
Should you have any accessibility concerns that might impact your ability to access, understand or fill-out the digital submission form, please inform Tennille Dowers by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 416-583-2030 well in advance of the July 15, 2018, application deadline.
You will be asked to provide the information that is listed below:
(The word counts provided are suggestions and responses that go under or over a suggested amount will not be disqualified)
- Describe your community organization(s) (250 words)
- Describe your project idea, exhibition or event (250 words)
- How will your idea address the theme? (150 words)
- Describe how your idea will allow audiences to participate (100 words)
- Describe how your project will be marketed within your community network (newsletter, social media following, etc) and how your project will bring people together (150 words)
- 5-10 still images/photos or (short) video clips that help to illustrate your project idea, if applicable
- Website (if you have one) and social media account handles
- Budget for the project. Accepted Myseum Intersections projects typically receive $3000 to $5000. If you believe that your project will require more than $5000 from Myseum, please inform Tennille Dowers (email@example.com, 416-583-2030)
- Any resources that you may need help sourcing (e.g. marketing and promotion, venue, equipment, volunteers, collaborate partnerships and etc.) and your strategy for sourcing these resources.
We are offering an Information Session for organizations, collectives and individuals to meet prospective collaborators, share resources and develop ideas. The session will also provide insight into the proposal writing and application process. Participants from last year will also be in attendance to answer any questions new applicants might have about what it was like to participate. Registration is required, to register click here.
- Thursday, June 28, 2018,from 6:00-8:30 PM at 401 Richmond Street W, Studio 303 [UPDATED]
- A second date may be added if there is an overwhelming response to the first date. Visit www.myseumoftoronto.com for details.
All proposals will be evaluated by a diverse selection committee and a jury of arts, culture, and heritage professionals. Projects will either be selected by invitation from the selection committee or chosen by the jury, using the following criteria:
- Clarity of proposal
- Demonstrates collaboration
- Feasibility of proposal
- Relevance to this year’s theme
- Community engagement
- Opportunities for public participation
- Aesthetic innovation
- Elevation of an issue that affects many people in the city
- Ability to engage with the city’s history
- Reach of the community and ability to bring people together
Applicants will receive feedback by Friday, August 17, 2018. If your proposal is approved, a representative from your organization/group will be required to attend each of the three mandatory workshops/info sessions and two celebratory events hosted by Myseum:
1. Participant Meet and Greet Info Session (Workshop)- Thursday, September 20, 2018, 6-8 pm
2. Project Planning Workshop – Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 6-8 pm
3. Marketing Workshop – Wednesday, January 16, 2018, 6-8 pm
4. Myseum Intersections Launch Event – Wednesday, March 6, 2018, 7-9 pm
5. Post-Festival Celebration – Thursday, April 4, 2018, 6-8 pm
For questions or inquiries please contact Tennille Dowers, Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-583-2030.
Myseum is your Toronto museum. Our engaging programs and experiences showcase the history, spaces, culture(s), architecture, and the people, that represent Toronto’s unique place in the world.
Myseum brings a personal understanding and appreciation of all that is Toronto to both residents and visitors. Instead of asking people to come to one location to explore art, culture, and history, Myseum delivers programming to all corners of the city, presenting rich and relevant experiences.
Our focus on co-creation and collaboration allows all Torontonians to partake in curating our city’s social and historical narratives. Myseum celebrates the reality that our city is the exhibit – it’s all around us. To learn more please visit www.myseumoftoronto.com.